Master in Physical Education and Sport Sciences (MPE)
The MPE program at the Academic College at Wingate was approved by the Israel Council of Higher Education in 2001 and includes degree studies with and without a thesis. By 2016 more than 150 students had completed their master studies and are employed in senior positions in the education system and in sport associations, in public and private rehabilitation systems and in public administration. The current program hosts over 150 students in total, with more than 50 new students every year.
Aims of the program
- To train a high-level academic cadre to promote research and development in the movement and sports sciences.
- To expand teachers’ knowledge and their use of research methods for teaching Physical Education and sport in all educational systems.
- To train high school teachers of the movement sciences in schools that offer matriculation programs in Physical Education at the highest (4-5 point) levels.
- To train senior personnel who will provide instruction, training, and consultation services in the Physical Education sciences for sports organizations, local authorities, security forces and the private sector.
- To train senior staff for planning, organizing, supervising, and managing physical activity and sports in schools, local authorities, and sports institutions in Israel.
- To train experts and professionals in rehabilitation through movement; to nurture athletic activity among pupils in Special Education and in populations with special needs (cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, sports for the disabled, children with behavioral problems and physical activity for the aged).
The MPE program at the Academic College at Wingate offers studies in two tracks:
- The Life Sciences track pertaining to physical activity in relation to: Physiology of Exercise, Biomechanics and Movement Rehabilitation.
- The Behavioral Sciences track with pedagogical aspects of physical activity in the fields of: teaching methods, psychology, sociology and philosophy of Physical Education.